Belgium - Part two

In a previous blog post, I mentioned I had been to Belgium recently, and focused on my visit to Bruges.  This time I am going to talk about Brussels. 


If you want to read about Bruges you can find it here: 
http://annagruberdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/belgium-part-one.html

But for now, Brussels…

Brussels was entirely different to Bruges, and different to what I expected.  Brussels is, of course, a vast city and a few days is never going to be enough to see it all, so this is a brief piece about the places I did see, and what I thought about them. 


Just around the corner from my hotel was a BNP Paribas building made of concrete.  Whilst I imagine it will evoke a very love/ hate reaction for most people, it ended up being one of my favourite buildings in Brussels.  I found the shapes very interesting, especially with all the glass behind the concrete.  


A lot of my photos from Brussels are from details in buildings and places I visited.  I get a lot of my inspiration for my design work from photos I take when I visit places, and this was no exception, there were many interesting things in Brussels and this is just a small selection of them.

I couldn’t resist a picture of these ‘YO’ markings on the road, I have no idea why they were there but think it’s a really fun idea none the less.


This is a beautiful decorative lamp post outside the Royal Palace in Brussels, sadly the Palace was shut but I still got some good photos around the exterior.


Next door to the palace was a museum about Belgium’s history and this was part of one of the room displays.  I liked the contrast between the more traditional carved plaster type detailing, and the yellow tones of the wallpaper.


The final part of my trip was to the Comic Book Museum, I wanted to see the Tin Tin part of the museum especially, but also really loved the building it was in.


Brussels was full of interesting places to visit, but for the pure beauty of the town itself, Bruges would still be my top recommendation for a trip to Belgium, and I’m sure I will be back. 

Comments

Popular Posts